Intro

I have collected Q&A topics since about 2010. These are being put onto this blog gradually, which explains why they are dated 2017 and 2018. Most are responses to questions from my students, some are my responses to posts on the Linkedin forums. You are invited to comment on any post. To create a new topic post or ask me a question, please send an email to: geverest@umn.edu since people cannot post new topics on Google Blogspot unless they are listed as an author. Let me know if you would like me to do that.

2020-04-21

In a data model: nouns and predicates

John O'Gorman asks (LinkedIn Data Modeling 2020 April)

Why do data models only include nouns? Second, the word 'Status' is a noun, right? If I use it as the name of a set, could I include the words 'Active', 'Inactive', 'Stalled', and 'Inverted' as members of the set? If so, could I include them in a data model as Concepts even though they are clearly not nouns?

Ken Evans answers:

Not true. A proper data model has nouns and predicates that define the relationships between the nouns.

Everest responds:
First, for data modeling, I note that a noun implies a population of "things". Perhaps the hardest but most important part of building a data model is in defining the members of that population so we can always determine what is included and what is excluded from the population.
Not only nouns and predicates (verb phrases) but also adjectives, understanding that an adjective serves to restrict the population of the noun. A noun qualified by an adjective would name a subset of the noun population, e.g., Employee, and full-time Employee.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments to any post are always welcome. I thrive on challenges and it will be more interesting for you.