Intro

I have collected Q&A topics since about 2010. These are being put onto this blog gradually, which explains why they are dated 2017 and 2018. Most are responses to questions from my students, some are my responses to posts on the Linkedin forums. You are invited to comment on any post. To create a new topic post or ask me a question, please send an email to: geverest@umn.edu since people cannot post new topics on Google Blogspot unless they are listed as an author. Let me know if you would like me to do that.

2020-03-29

How a data model is expressed

Fabian Pascal posts (LinkedIn, Data Modeling, 2020/03/29)
Shown a data model diagram, he says "Actually, it is not a logical model, but a graphical representation of it that users understand -- the DBMS doesn't. Users understand the conceptual model SEMANTICALLY, the DBMS "understands" the true logical model ALGORITHMICALLY and that's not what your drawing is.

Everest responds:

Regarding model (re)presentation, the exact same model can be presented in a variety of ways - graphical diagram, formal linear (for machine processing, I take you call this "logical"). But I would hope and expect that the underlying semantics would be exactly the same. We build a data model, and it should not matter how it is expressed, as long as they are equivalent. The semantics relate to the model, not how it is expressed (Conceptual?). Semantics is the meaning behind what is presented. Furthermore, all models are logical, that is, built according to some set of rules of logic and formal argument, no matter how it is presented or who reads it (check your dictionary). The rules in this case constitute what I call the modeling scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments to any post are always welcome. I thrive on challenges and it will be more interesting for you.