Intro

I have collected Q&A topics since about 2010. These are being put onto this blog gradually, which explains why they are dated 2017 and 2018. Most are responses to questions from my students, some are my responses to posts on the Linkedin forums. You are invited to comment on any post. To create a new topic post or ask me a question, please send an email to: geverest@umn.edu since people cannot post new topics on Google Blogspot unless they are listed as an author. Let me know if you would like me to do that.

2017-12-22

On the origin of the fork notation

A student posts: 
    Dr. Everest, I just caught the fact that you developed the "fork" notation.
Good thinking, it is the most clear and simple of all 1:M relationship notations by far!
‑It occurred to me that maybe the profile of a badminton birdie was your inspiration?

Everest response:

    At the time when I did that (in a 1976 paper*, which became chapter 4 in my Database Management book, McGraw-Hill, 1986, §4.3.2, p.132) my idea came from trying to resolve the difference between the then dominant diagraming scheme of an arrow from parent to child (due to Charlie Bachman in a 1969 paper), and Nijssen drawing the arrow in the opposite direction to represent a function.  What I did was move Nijssen's arrow head to the other end of the arc and voila, a fork!
    
*Here is the reference (click on the title to get a copy of the paper):
Gordon C. Everest, "BasicData Structure Models Explained With A Common ExampleComputing Systems 1976, Proceedings Fifth Texas Conference on Computing Systems, Austin, TX, 1976 October 18-19, pages 39-46. (Long Beach, CA: IEEE Computer Society Publications Office).  
            Original paper using a notation for relationship characteristics.  Thought to be the first to use what is now called a "fork" to represent multiplicity in a relationship.  An updated version appeared as Chapter 4 in Database Management:  Objectives, System Functions, and Administration, McGraw-Hill, 1986.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments to any post are always welcome. I thrive on challenges and it will be more interesting for you.